The Pros To Living Alone:
- You can do whatever you want, whenever you want, whenever you feel like it.
- You can eat anything at any time without the fear of judgment.
- You can walk around naked and not worry about anyone seeing as long as the curtains are closed.
- You don’t have to worry about hogging the bathroom or if someone else is and might make you late for work in the morning.
- You have a whole bed to yourself to spread out and relax.
- You can wake up and go to bed anytime you want.
- You have control over the air conditioner.
- You can buy whatever you want at the store.
- There is no one to tempt you to impulse buy, so it’s easier to save money.
- You use less gas only having to drive to places you need/want to go to.
- You clean and organize way more.
- You feel like a mature adult.
The Cons To Living Alone:
- You talk to yourself a lot including:
- Having a full-on back-and-forth conversation with yourself.
- Laughing at yourself.
- Commenting on yourself in the mirror out loud.
- Commenting on a thing you saw on tv, read about in a book or online out loud.
- You talk to yourself when checking someone out and giggle with yourself as if you were with your girl friends.
- You reprimand yourself by calling yourself by your full name and asking yourself “What were you thinking?”
- Talking out loud about what you’re going to do next while cleaning, cooking, driving, organizing, etc.
- Commercials are way more tortuous with no one around to talk to while you wait for your show to go back on.
- No one is there to help you wake up in the morning in case you hit the snooze button too many times.
- No one is there when you need a comforting hug.
- You only have you and your pillow to cuddle with at night and late into the morning.
- If you’re trying to decide what outfit to wear or how to do your make-up that day, no one is there to help you choose.
- No one is there to help rub aloe vera onto your sunburnt back.
- You people watch way more and talk out loud to yourself as you imagine what they’re doing.
- You curse at crazy idiots who can’t drive correctly way more than usual by also having a conversation with yourself about how can people be so stupid.
- You start up small conversations with strangers every where you go, whether at the bank or the food market.
- You think you’re going crazy talking to yourself so much.
- You have to do everything yourself and miss your parents doing some things for you.
Nothing like living alone to make you realize how many responsibilities there really is when you grow up. Makes me appreciate living with my parents still, as well as my house mates in college. Going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts until I have to live alone, probably from a job not near my family or college friends.
Obviously you can tell there are more cons than pros to this list. Once I do have to live alone though for more than just the summer, I hope it’s not for more than a year, because I’m such a talkative people person I don’t think I’d be able to handle more than a year of living by myself.
Truth be told. What are your thoughts on living alone? Would you recommend it or absolutely stay away from it? Love to know what you all think!
Jennifer Gioia (c) 2014